Friday, February 22, 2008

Must Have Items for Spring 2008

Okay, so we’ve all just finished watching the Fall 2008 Runway shows, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. First, we must enumerate the MUST HAVE items for Spring 2008:
· A Unique Trench, either patterned or sheer (high end see Jil Sander and J. Mendel; low end, see Bebe). Above: Christian Dior zebra print, Heatherette red stripe, Richard Nicoll chiffon.
· Perfect lightweight slim [not skinny] jeans; straight leg, dark denim. I really adore J. Brand, but if you have the means, Chloe has an awesome pair as well. Go to net-a-porter.com.
· Wide Leg Pants. I must admit, I am not a huge fan generally speaking, but with the right blouse and ultra-high heels, the high-waisted sailor trouser can be quite fetching. See, inter alia, Peter Som, Chris Benz, Felix.
· Sculptural and/or hand-painted Heels. Marc Jacobs and Dries van Noten have the most ubiquitous pairs, but if you are on a budget, try Stuart Weitzman
· Something Bright. Make it a frock or jeans, whatever you can handle without feeling like you are in costume. Loving Philip Lim and Ralph Lauren, but even Banana Republic has some cute pieces in bold shades.
· Something Sheer. Aside from the trench, which is an amazing layering piece for spring, consider some sheer pants. They are a bit looser than tights, and of course you will wear them in the same manner, under a tunic or dress. I also fancy a pair of those chiffon gloves that are featured in Louis Vuitton’s latest ad campaign. Although I would prefer to spend less than $700, so I am going to get mine from GreatGlovesonline.com.
· A Safari-Inspired Piece. I am truly taken by the adorable Old Navy khaki romper I am seeing splashed across the pages of all my glossies, but I am fairly sure that only models [and toddlers] can pull it off. So I am endorsing a more staid adaptation, either in the form of a blazer or a shirtdress.
· A Really Fun Dress! Girls, work with me here: Get something adorable and kicky that you are proud to put on and that doesn’t require Spanx (I am not a fan – see the “scuba suit” scene from St. Elmo’s Fire) or any other hoisting/squeezing/corseting. If you need help to get into your outfit, reconsider the combination. I am absolutely drooling over T-Bags, the eponymous L.A.-based line of flirty patterned dresses and tunics. Check out fab steals on shopbop and ebay. I am also admiring the numerous one-shoulder dresses out there for Spring, especially those by Diane von Furstenberg. And florals are IT as well. Dolce & Gabbana is preferable, but Simply Vera by Vera Wang at Kohl’s is tolerable.
· A Wide Belt or 2 (or 10!). If you don’t already have one, it is time. They are ultra-flattering and timeless. You should have one leather cincher, preferably with multiple buckles, and one trendier wide belt, either in a bold shade or in a more outré fabric. No need to go Designer here, gals. While I love what Fendi is sending down the runway, you can really do alright at the Junior’s Department at Nordstrom. If you ARE going to invest, make it in cowhide, not suede. And for Pete’s sake, start taking care of your leather pieces. Maintain them with the proper moisturizing and polishing, and they will last you a lifetime. Hey, don’t you want to pass on all your fab clothes to your daughter(s) someday? We mustn’t let those Guccis and Puccis languish in the attic!



Anything I am missing here? Let me know!







Many thanks to New York Magazine for these amazing runway pictures!

No comments: