Friday, June 13, 2008

ESSENTIALS FOR YOUR BEACH VACATION


Couture Carrie received such wonderful feedback on yesterday's luxe luggage post... the travel theme continues!

Hit the resort in style! What to Pack:

1) Many bright patterned sundresses, some for day, others for evening. I love T-Bags (featured above, and available in a variety of lengths, styles and patterns at shopbop.com). If possible, bring your portable steamer. No globe-trotting gal wants to look all rumpled! For more frock fabulousness, see the Resort 2009 runway looks at right from Zac Posen, Prada, and Brian Reyes (top to bottom; photos via style.com).

2) A slim journal or sketchbook and/or tiny digital camera, so you can document all the delicious details of your vay-cay! At left, Smythson journal. Go to smythson.com.

3) A double beach towel: plenty of room to roll around, and you never know who you might share it with!

4) Shoes: (a) gold or silver flat sandals (like those in the Zac Posen look above); (b) throwaway flip-flops (Old Navy or Wet Seal, top left of polyvore); (c) lightweight pair(s) of heels, such as Manolo Blahnik, Alexandra Neel or Jimmy Choo; this way you won’t feel bad having lugged them around if you don’t wear them; (d) trainers – you WILL work out!
In collage: red Dior stiletto, eLuxury.com; turquoise Sergio Rossi elastic strappy sandals, stylefinder.com.

5) At least as many bikinis as the # of days you are staying; double if possible. I like to change bathing suits after lunch. And of course, if you hit the Jacuzzi at night, you’ll want a fresh triangle top and side tie bottom for that as well. Never repeat! At left, Rosa Cha bikini, via nymag.com.
All suits in the polyvore above are at net-a-porter.com. From left to right: Emilio Pucci, Milly, Missoni & JG4B.

6) Silk or terry shorty robe, for poolside or bedside.
The beige Stella McCartney hooded robe in collage is available at net-a-porter.

7) Pashmina or other large wrap that can double as a cozy blanket on the airplane or in your suite; also a sarong or two – so versatile!
The teal wrap above is from Forever 21, and the towel is Pucci.

8) Copious numbers of magazines and a few “disposable” books (i.e., ones you don’t mind tossing or giving away after reading so you don’t have to carry them home – more room in your Goyard luggage for souvenirs!)

9) Lightweight denim – a go-with-everything, chic pair of dark jeans that is suitable for day or night and a pair of white jeans, like the True Religion Candice Trouser Stretch Jeans above, for purchase at Nordstrom.

10) Lightweight cashmere cardigan – green J. Crew sweater pictured above. For cocktails on the veranda or that midnight stroll on the beach!

11) Adorable hat –for protection from sun and humidity; I like this Cordon straw fedora at left from Forever 21. Go to style.com for more info. on the Lola large-brimmed straw hat in the collage.

12) Silk sleeping mask, for those 5:30 Costa Rican sunrises or the occasional post-beach catnap. Couture Carrie likes Mary Green’s, and you can usually find them cheap on ebay!

13) Accessories! UV-protectant sunglasses such as the classic Ray-ban aviators pictured in today's polyvore; costume or inexpensive jewelry to throw on with a sundress – bangles, chunky necklaces (see Brian Reyes pendant), big earrings (see Prada look above), etc. Gold always works, too. Collage looks: Henri Bendel bangles; Kenneth Jay Lane necklace and Zoe & Morgan Isis wing drop earrings (both at net-a-porter.com).

14) Casual no-brainers such as white tanks and tees; yoga pants; city shorts (see Resort 2009 look at right by Isaac Mizrahi).

A word to the wise jet-setter: Many experts will advise against it, but CC believes that it’s better to overpack than underpack. And remember: always carry at least a day’s worth of clothing in your Goyard carry-on, in case your checked luggage is mislaid. Also, keep a record of items packed in your checked bag; most airlines will reimburse you up to $500 if your bag is lost.

Did I leave anything out? Also, better to check or not to check? I know it's sneaky, but sometimes I take 2 huge carry-on bags, and claim that one of them is my "purse". Then, if the flight attendants object and insist that I check one, it's the last to be stowed, and thus the first piece to come out on the conveyor belt! Happy traveling, darlings!

9 comments:

Siljesfashion said...

Wonderful post! I really want that pink Smythson journal for my Paris trip.

Kira Aderne said...

the pumps in green are awsone and this fedora is fantastic!

a kiss!!

Marte said...

Nice blog!:)

Ida said...

I always take all kinds of stuff with me but it is my cosmetics that end up being like 40% of my luggage. And weigh the most. Crazy, huh?

P.S. Thank you for stopping by my blog, and leaving me such a sweet comment:)

Mónica said...

Very useful post. I always carried a good mag to the beach!

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

what a great, informative post! i'll definitely refer to this in late june when i go to the lake.

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I love the idea of a hat. But I'm afraid my head will get too hot and icky

Pamcasso said...

Fabulous guide! now I just have to plan a trip so I can go shopping!!

Also, I did the tag!

Anonymous said...

Great tips!

My dad works in an airline company so I travel a lot, like four times a year, since I was little.

Rosa Chá's bikinis are so cute!

I don't think anything is missing on your list. I always have to list everything I pack because always leave something at the hotel. Especially accessories like earings, et cetera.

I have already linked you in both my blogs.
Your blog is amazing, and I love the polivore collages!