Friday, July 18, 2008

Something up her sleeve!

At the fall shows, OMG was in the details!! Though looks ran the gamut from sweet and demure to rock and roll edgy, Designers shared a similar desire for new and unique shapes, characterized by fresh sleeve lengths and shapes.
Check out the runway inspiration, courtesy style.com except where noted . . .
Chanel Haute Couture
Chanel Couture, knife-pleated inverted sleeve detail. Is it possible that these are (attached to the) gloves??
Christian Lacroix Couture lace puff sleeve
Christian Lacroix silk gathered sleeve opening
Puffy sleeves at Giambattista Valli, courtesy nymag.com
Fendi shield-sleeve gray blazer
Gareth Pugh, via nymag.com. These angular sleeves remind CC of the Rubik's Snake (anyone remember that?)
Balenciaga rounded shoulder pod-sleeve jacket, via nymag.com
Anna Sui sheer sleeve detail
Viktor & Rolf stapled seams
Givenchy ruffle-wrist jacket, courtesy nymag.com
Gucci Resort 2009 laser-cut black frock (yes, you guessed it, CC's fave!)
Rah Harouni extra long sleeves, via French Vogue. Visit vogue.com/fr
How to get the look:
If you can't commit to a whole jacket or top, buy just the sleeves!
How gorgeous would these Estell Blanche puff sleeved fingerless gloves be peeking out from under a short sleeve sweater?
Go to glovedup.com and stock up - there are so many fabulous styles!
Valentino felted wool coat with bunched sleeves, at Neiman Marcus.


Nanette Lepore Black Tie silk chiffon top with lace banding at wrists. Go to shopbop.com.
Doo.Ri Godet-sleeve silk top
3.1 Phillip Lim rosebud sleeve turtleneck
D&G silk ruffle blouse with blouson 34 sleeves
Fendi ruffle neck long sleeve wool top with pintucked details on sleeves; this and previous three tops at eLuxury.com.
Issa silk-jersey puff sleeve top with pleating at v neck. Visit shopbop.com.
Lanvin tiered sleeve top, currently on sale at aloharag.com
Lela Rose twisted-sleeve wool twill dress. Love this deep red! This dress and next, both at Neiman Marcus.
Stella McCartney rumba sleeve sweater dress.
So get creative with those sleeves, darlings! And banish from your thoughts the episode of Seinfeld in which Jerry has to wear the puffy shirt . . . We do want to be pirates!
Whether they're twisted, bunched, rolled, puffed, stapled, cut, pleated or bloused, sleeves are getting some serious attention!

34 comments:

Crave said...

As always, such a beautiful post! Your blog get's me excited for fall fashions!

bi-style said...

I love your blog! I added you on my blog!

Angela said...

I look silly with ultra long sleeves since I am petite. But I adore sleeves with pretty details.

starbrained said...

I want that Nanette Lepore Black Tie silk chiffon top! It's gorgeous

Jessica said...

Great post !
i love the one by Balenciaga and Gucci !

Sharon S said...

Hi there! I was going to say the Gucci as my fave too, but it has to be the last one-Stella McCartney, oh yes!!

Shen-Shen said...

I love the detailed sleeves!

Gonzalo Rossello said...

Greats dresses! and beautifull details!!!

XX

Anonymous said...

i like this look, but not on me. i'm too simple to be so detailed. =)

KP said...

I didn't notice the stapled sleeve at Victor and Rolf-great eye!

Anonymous said...

i love love love all these interesting poofy shapes and volume :]

NewYorkChique said...

ahh omg i am in LOVE LOVE LOVE with the Valentino dress you posted. gahh i want it so badly!

Christina said...

great post!

karen said...

i love the sleeve detail! great post!

Anonymous said...

Those sleeves remind me of Napoleon Dynamite. And the blue-skinned lady reminds me of a necromancer.

St Nick said...

Lovely! I tend to gravitate towards sleeveless dresses, but this may have changed my mind!
-Rosie

TINA said...

I adore that look! And I really like those slip-on sleeves- thanks for sharing that with us!

Jenna said...

Love it! So chic! I LOVE that Phillip Lim top.

Seeker said...

I think this is a vry intriguing look. Don't know if it looks good on me, but I like the details.
Great post.

xoxo

PS - I'm asking for some insights about fall and what could be find at sales thar could be wore, maybe you could help me? If so, I'll be grateful.

socialstudies said...

I'm excited about this fall trend. I can't wait to try to recreate some of these fall runway looks

Julia said...

All of the fall windows have amazing detail pieces out already. I'm so excited, I'm such a huge sucker for amazing little details. Not a sucker for the huge prices that come with it though :( lol

Anonymous said...

OH, how I love these designs! I like the delicate detail, especially around the sleeves. Which I guess was hinted in the title of this post. But I really love the ruby red tinted twisted-sleeve woll twill dress! I like how it fits the models figure and clutches at the hip, giving her a bit of a more hour glass waistline, making a womanly shape.

Lauren said...

gorgeous sleeves indeed!

Jill @ Trend de la Creme said...

Excellent post! You have such a great eye for detail.

Bang Bang Starz said...

thanks dear for the support!! && I am gonna be interning at a showroom sooo I am a lil excited..lol

Fifi Flowers said...

Hmmmm... those are some crazy sleeves! I'm all about the slimming sleeve!
BTW... I think a pool painting is perfect for Sunday... if you're in the neighborhood pop over!
Have a great weekend!
Fifi

giggleness said...

love the post!
some of the sleeves made want to gag but some where really fab. :)
and now im off to check out the glovedup site.

Carolina Lange said...

Beautiful post!
that black dress from Gucci's Resort 2009 is gorgeous! Wow!

yiqin; said...

Wow, I have never paid attention to sleeves before! All these photos really opened my eyes!!

Hunters Glory said...

Pocket Protector was flashin brilliancy!

Great post!

Loved the very first one and it kept getting better!

Elizabeth said...

I love all those great sleeve details. The first one is my favorite.

queengilda said...

ahh!! thank you for compiling all that together! i have a sleeve obsession! (actually, sleeve and pocket obsession!) i love very very detailed sleeves which i always try to incorporate into my designs too. but sometimes, it's hard!! this post was very inspiring though!

Lust for Fashion said...

Thanks for the comment. And this is such a great post, you really are up to date with the fall trends. Love the lace photos!!

NATRIBU said...

Acabo de descubrir tu blog y me encanta, felicidades!
Lo voy a añadir a mis links...