Friday, July 25, 2008

Yellow Mellows for Fall!

As you can see by the lovely Blake Lively in her banner, CC adores yellow! So naturally she's thrilled that it's sticking around for fall. Though a few designers were bold enough to throw some canary looks into the ring (and a couturier or two opted for pale yellow), for the most part, this sunshiny hue has really mellowed out for fall. Think mustard and saffron, in fabrics ranging from wool to leather to velvet! The runway portion of this post is divided by hue.
THE CANARY
Christian Lacroix Couture (at top right)

If you're feeling daring, do the bumble bee thing, as at Betsey Johnson (CC adores those thigh-highs!)






THE FLUORESCENT

Jean Paul Gaultier Couture
THE MUSTARD
Christian Lacroix blouse detail








CC feels that the designer who did it best this season was Carolina Herrera. How stunning is this fringed dress?



Carolina Herrera's asymmetrical gown is also a winner.

Pair this shade with houndstooth, rich chocolate browns, or denim.

One of the standout looks of the season: Balenciaga yellow velvet top

Jasper Conran suit, via nymag.com

Shipley & Halmos shift, beautifully paired with a neutral cardigan and opaque tights!

Baby Phat gown



Jean Paul Gaultier yellow velvet dress and gloves, courtesy nymag.com

Monique Lhullier sleeveless shift






Valentino blue bow detail flutter cap sleeve shift, via nymag.com

La Perla asymmetrical pleated chiffon dress



Vera Wang gown
Thakoon black tipped long dress, courtesy nymag.com




THE PALE

Alexander McQueen feathered strapless dress
Jaeger London self-belted suit

Marc by Marc Jacobs dress Blumarine lingerie-look dress, via nymag.com
Valentino Couture beaded gown












Good day, sunshine! What to buy:

In CC's research, this look was the most popular representation of the trend: Yves Saint Laurent colorblock dress, available at Bergdorf Goodman, New York





CC actually prefers this solid Yves Saint Laurent bubble sheath dress, also at Bergdorf's
Tory Burch Casey shift, at net-a-porter.com




Proenza Schouler Origami dress, at Bergdorf Goodman

Alberta Ferretti Mythology ruched dress. Visit net-a-porter.com.








3.1 Phillip Lim Siamese Fish dress, at net-a-porter
Gypsy Organic long dress $99.00 at pinkmascara.com
D&G satin pencil skirt (back zip detail shown here), at net-a-porter.com
CC showed you this fabulous skirt yesterday in navy: today, gold!
Thayer Crete tiered fringe mini, at shopbop.com
Pleated crescent taffeta skirt, Forever 21




Proenza Schouler yellow silk faille skirt with bow, at presseboutique.com



Ralph Lauren Blue Label Abby wool herringbone jacket, in Marigold. Visit ralphlauren.com
See by Chloe 3/4 sleeve oversized woven coat, at shopbop.com



ACCESSORIZE!
The runway inspiration:
Versace handbag with metal hardware
Dolce & Gabbana shoes




Botkier Lita pleated soft Hobo, at Nordstrom
Malababa small Bivi bag (below), currently half off at shopbop.com




Faux patent button clutch $18.80 at forever21.com
Tracy Reese Capri Madelyn side draw tote (above). Go to nordstrom.com to buy.
Moyna evening purse (at right)





Everyone can get in on the trend with these American Apparel stripe thigh-high socks!
Love Quotes
handknotted fringe scarf, $85 at shopbop.com
CC saves the best for last:
Manolo Blahnik suede and patent Spat bootie; photo via elle.com
Photography Note: All runway images in this post via style.com unless otherwise credited.

40 comments:

marilo said...

madre mía que vestidos! la verdad es que son un sueño...ay! quzas algun dia....

erin de la cruz said...

La Perla asymmetrical pleated chiffon dress is what I love most. Simplicity is beauty! Love the color yellow. =)

Amy C said...

gorgeous gorgeous colors and patterns - lovely blog.
Thanks for visiting me.........

TINA said...

I am so happy that yellow is staying for fall! I am OBSESSED with that color!
I am loving those Manolo booties.
Great Posts, and thanks for your long and thoughtful comment! :)

starbrained said...

I love the yellow bags!

Vain and Vapid said...

Too many lovely things to even list but that Vera Wang gown... wow!

Christina said...

I love yellow for fall especially yellow clutch bags and scarves.

Sharon S said...

Hi there-I love the Phillip Lim dress best!!

Mónica said...

McQueen was great!! the thing is, yellow is not flattering for everybody... I need to be more tanned!

Lucy said...

oh yum. what i really want though is the yellow oscar de la renta jacket for the rest of the summer...

Myriam said...

I just love yellow dresses. I tried one but the colour isn't my colour at all sadly. Oh so it is Blake! I was wondering :)

Hanne said...

I love the Ralph Lauren jacket, totally my styl! I think I have to be better at using yellow, it's really really nice!

Annie Spandex said...

Oh yeah, I LOVE yellow! It's so cheerful! And the darker yellows are very earthy in a mysterious mineral way...

Tricia said...

more of a mustard girl, unless i've got a tan! but what a gorgeous group.

Aliena said...

Love the colour, but I don't think I can pull it off... will have to do with accesories :(

Elle said...

I am LOVING that yellow Versace bag!

Laurel said...

I ADORE the P.Lim Siamese Fish dress, isn't that just the most perfect shape and color? I love this post and I canNOT wait for fall!!

xo

Penny said...

zI adore the Baby Phat gown, it has a real 1930's/40's feel to it.
Gorgeous!

Hunters Glory said...

Sun's out today!

Fun post and I loved your shoe selections!

Bedroom Talk said...

I love that bubble skirt!

I'm actully in entertainment law for music so I'd work for a recond label. I love it ♥

Kate said...

I'm loving yellow too. I think it can be hard to find the right shade for me. Canary = possibly. Mustard = disaster. But so glad it's carrying through Fall. Yellow just makes me happy.

shopinchic said...

Mmm,lemon yellow. I love yellow,but I don't know
if it would compliment
me,since I am blonde.

As for faves? I love the
3.1 Philip Lim dress,and
the Thayer mini skirt.

I love bright colors!

Shop In Chic

shopinchic said...

Mmm,lemon yellow. I love yellow,but I don't know
if it would compliment
me,since I am blonde.

As for faves? I love the
3.1 Philip Lim dress,and
the Thayer mini skirt.

I love bright colors!

LuLu124 said...

beautiful coverage!!! i never thought of yellow for fall either, but some of those shades are simply marvelous!!! xoxo, lulu

Fifi Flowers said...

Love the yellow collection... YELLOW...you either love it or hate it I find with my design clients... and NOT everyone looks good in yellow... but there is a great song about yellow...
They call me mellow yellow... sings Donovan

Alison said...

Amazing! I love yellow so I am so excited for fall!

I was wondering if you would be interested in swapping links? Let me know!

Alison

Meg said...

I especially love the pale yellow looks!

And I've been excited about mustard for a while now, glad it's still around!

Elizabeth said...

That Manolo bootie is superb. I'm sold on yellow now!

aizat.cinta.goddess said...

wow!!im so inlove with the colors!!this are good

Anonymous said...

Yellow is so hot and I a ectremelyhappy it's not going to leave us )))

Lauren said...

yellow is awesome! i find that i aquire more and more of it each year!

ramona west said...

i love the rich mustard/saffron hues. this is definately my favorite color - along with cinnamon. thanks for the great showcase.

♡ Nic Nic ♡ said...

awesome blog! now i know where to find my daily dose of haute couture fashion! ive got your booked-marked already!

Songy said...

egg yolk yellow
lemony yellow
mustard yellow
pastel yellow

I was looking through the images and thinking mustard (olive greenish yellow) is my colour. I really am too lazy with colours (opting usually for black, grey, brown etc..). I should really try more colours as you suggest. I really digg Jaeger London self-belted suit. wish I could try that to see if I could actually pull it off! I might have to look around for a matching bag.

Syed said...

LOVE the shades of yellow, they look amazing!

Unknown said...

Oh I like the yellow black combination!

The Observist said...

I loooove the manolos, and the AA socks! Your blog is ace, by the way :)
www.sheshakesinwonderland.blogspot.com

Seeker said...

I'm also very happy that yellow is one of the fall colours.

And my dear CC how gorgeous collection you presented, must say that my favorite is the Carolina Herrera's fringed dress.

Love the mustard shade, but also the brighter ones, and the combo with gray and black.

xoxo

The Collector said...

I really like those D&G booties - hot!

I really like yellows too... How do you feel about black and yellow worn together? I do it, but sometimes I feel like a wasp.

lovelysms4u said...

Great post, thanks for sharing. Keep it up!